College of Engineering
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Sag in Plastic Pipe Extrusion
Videotaped Classroom Lecture
Problems with sag in plastic pipe extrusion? This videotaped classroom lecture
summarizes the state of the art.
Produced in 1998 with the Engineering Outreach Program, this
tape of one of Professor
Giacomin's ME417 lectures brings plastics engineers quickly up to speed, helping them
tackle challenging sag problems.
This 45 minute lecture is available in any format. To purchase it, send your check or money order to:
Ms. Helene Demont, Program Administrator
Office of Engineering Outreach
College of Engineering, University of Wisconsin
129 Wendt Library
215 N. Randall Ave.
Madison, WI 53706-1688
Make your check or money order payable to the University of Wisconsin-Madison, (Federal Tax Identification Number 39-600 6492W), in the amount
of $250 U.S. per videotape. Be sure to state your desired format.
More on sag in plastic pipe extrusion at:
- Githuku, D.N. and A.J. Giacomin, "A
Spectral Element Simulation of
Gravitational Flow During Plastic Pipe
Extrusion," Journal of Engineering
Materials and Technology,
115(4), 433-439 (October, 1993).
- Githuku, D.N. and A.J. Giacomin, "Elimination of Sag in Plastic Pipe Extrusion," International Polymer
Processing, VII(2), 140-143 (June, 1992).
- Githuku, D.N. and A.J. Giacomin, "Simulation of Slump in Plastic Pipe Extrusion," Journal of
Engineering Materials and Technology, 114(1), 81-83 (January, 1992).
- Githuku, D.N. and A.J. Giacomin, "Heat Transfer Considerations in Gravitational Flows During Plastic
Pipe Extrusion," Proc., First International Conference on Transport Phenomena in Processing, Pacific
Institute for Thermal Engineering, Honolulu, HI (March 22-26, 1992), S.I. Guceri, ed., Technomic
Publishers Inc., Lancaster, PA (1992), pp. 997-1012.
- Githuku, D.N., "Simulation of Sag in Plastic Pipe Extrusion," PhD Thesis, Texas A&M University,
Mechanical Engineering Dept., College Station, TX (February, 1992).
- Giacomin, A.J., Habinak, T. and Doshi, S.R. "Dies for Pipe Extrusion Which Compensate for Gravity
Flow," Proceedings, Polymer Processing Society, Fourth Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL (May 8-11, 1988), p.
- Giacomin, A.J. and Doshi, S.R. "Analysis of Slump in Plastic Pipe Extrusion," S.P.E. Tech. Paper,
XXXIV, Society of Plastics Engineers, Proc. 46th Annual Tech. Conf. & Exhib., Atlanta, GA (April, 1988), pp. 38-40.
- Pittman, J.F.T., G.P. Whitham, S. Beech and D. Gwynn, "Cooling and Wall
Thickness Uniformity in Plastic Pipe Manufacture: An Experimental Study
and Computer Simulations," International Polymer Processing, IX,
- Pittman, J.F.T., I.A. Farah, D.H. Isaac and A. Eccott, "Spray Cooling Heat Transfer Coefficients in Plastic Pipe Manufacture," Plastics Rubber and Composites Processing and Applications, 24, 123-129 (1995).
- Pittman, J.F.T., G.P. Whitham and I.A. Farah, "Wall Thickness Uniformity in Plastic Pipes - Computer Simulations of the Effectiveness of Die Mandrel Off-Setting and Pipe Rotation in Combating Sag," Polymer Engineering and Science, 35, 921-928 (June 1995).
- Mapleston, P., "Novel Internal Pipe-Cooling System Boosts Output and Efficiency of Extrusion Lines," Modern Plastics, 26-27 (September 1999).
- Backman, M., E.-L. Heino, S. Johansson, J. Laurell, A. Lehtinen, J. Lindroos, M. Ora, E. Ribarits, T. Sihvonen, and J. Aarila, Polymer composition for pipes, USP 6,441,096 (August 27, 2002).
[ Home | UW | COE | Depts | Centers | Consortia ]
[ Site Search | What's New ]